Monday, July 21, 2014

Lost In the Call

"Let the caller and the called disappear; be lost in the call." Rumi

I have been painting a lot.  Sadly, however, I have not been producing anything I'd care to share, and have been scraping the wax off my paintings as quickly as I put it on.  It's frustrating, yes, but truthfully it makes me a little sad.  Sad because I start doubting myself; I begin wondering what I'm doing aside from wasting time and money.  I will be the first to tell you that I'm self-taught, that I'm not always clear about what I'm doing technique wise or compositionally (I hope that's a word.) I will also tell you that despite wanting to pull my hair out the majority of the time, I love painting.  Time is irrelevant and non-existent when I'm painting.  I talk to myself, I wonder, I try colors, I'm curious and I am fully engaged. I am lost in the call.

"Lost In the Call" is my first oil and cold wax painting.  It's 12x12 on a canvas panel.  It was an interesting process--quite different from my normal encaustic painting, but fun.  I plan on playing with this medium a bit more!     


2 comments:

  1. Love your reference to Rumi and his work. I find this piece extremely interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete